Navigation
Blades
Blades - Just wondering...
Just wondering...
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 69
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-15 20:06:25

When did South Africans start talking of "Apartments"?

When I grew up you either lived in Flat, a Town House or a House.

And that is how my life progressed. The first few places I stayed in were Flats. Then I moved to a Town House and now I own my fourth House.

An 'apartment' sounds like something way smaller than what I currently live in, but I cant afford...

Apartment...
Tegwane
Tegwane - Re: Just wondering...
Re: Just wondering...
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 637
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-15 20:10:43

Maisonettes?...
JACKRIBET
JACKRIBET - Re: Just wondering...
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1328
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-16 07:07:30

Well in Europe it is very common because there is lack of space. And SA people like to have big houses, gardens, big dogs and high walls. Guess the SA economy is bad and people cannot really afford big units any more.Unfortunately, this is the way it is these days.
Blades
Blades - Re: Just wondering...
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 71
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-16 08:08:46

On 2018-10-16 07:07:30 JACKRIBET said:
Well in Europe it is very common because there is lack of space. And SA people like to have big houses, gardens, big dogs and high walls. Guess the SA economy is bad and people cannot really afford big units any more.Unfortunately, this is the way it is these days.

I think you are missing my point.

I was asking about why, what we in SA traditionally called a 'flat' is now called an 'apartment'.

Personally I think it is because our society is becoming more and more pretentios.

Soon one won't be driving a 'bakkie' anymore, but a 'coupe utility'.

Maybe a 'braai' will be too Brakpan and the la-di-da's driving their coupe utilities and living in their apartments will invite you to a lacto vegatarian, gluten free, caffein free, low fat, sugar free, organic 'Barbeque'.
Arhwen
Arhwen - Re: Just wondering...
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 5331
  View Profile  
Posted: 2018-10-16 08:19:25

Is it possible that its called flats in lower grade areas and in upmarket areas it called a apartment.
Burfi
Burfi - Re: Just wondering...
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 504
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-16 09:01:38

A flat is a flat.

Too much watching American movies and TV now people refer to their shitty bachelor flat as an apartment.

Was in Nandos in Columbine centre the other day and in front of me two local black guys in front of me talking in quasi American accents and talking how expensive "gas" is for their cars.
Blades
Blades - Re: Just wondering...
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 72
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-16 09:16:28

On 2018-10-16 09:01:38 Burfi said:
A flat is a flat.

Too much watching American movies and TV now people refer to their shitty bachelor flat as an apartment.

Was in Nandos in Columbine centre the other day and in front of me two local black guys in front of me talking in quasi American accents and talking how expensive "gas" is for their cars.

Bells for you my friend.

I forgot about 'gas'. Maybe coupe utilities won't run on petrol.

But yeah, a flat is a flat.

Stood outside an estate agent office the other day looking at the 'apartments' for sale. Got the feeling if they called them 'flats' they'd have to slash the price by at least 30%.
2cool4u007
2cool4u007 - Re: Just wondering...
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 51
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-16 10:38:12

On 2018-10-16 09:01:38 Burfi said:
A flat is a flat.

I'm American & apartment has no pretentious connotations, condo has more of that effect
Bbw Nadia
Bbw Nadia - Re: Just wondering...
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 2593
  View Profile  
Posted: 2018-10-16 10:53:18

An apartment is a flat that went to private school
or

An apartment is a flat bought from Woolworths
Need4Passion
Need4Passion - Re: Just wondering...
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 843
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-16 10:57:36

On 2018-10-16 10:53:18 Bbw Nadia said:
An apartment is a flat that went to private school
or

An apartment is a flat bought from Woolworths

Hahaha, *laughing crying face*

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.