johnyafrica
johnyafrica - Re: Words matter
Re: Words matter
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 44
View Profile
Posted: 2021-11-24 09:34:32
Edited: 2021-11-24 09:37:29

Good discussion, and if such discussions can be had and kept respectful then maybe we can start getting somewhere - what practical steps can each of us make? I do agree that the term has become somewhat a political statement that's punted without necessarily outlining what practical measures are being taken and should be taken. Simply naming it and shouting it out in the public square is only highlighting a problem that has always been there, and we may have historically turned a blind eye or assumed it was someone else's problem to solve. What's a bit scary though (in my opinion) that society is going south, rather than north and whereas this is a community problem to solve, I can't help but feel a sense of despair in our capability to come together. Just on the point of punitive measures and education - our prisons have just become a place for punishment, rather than a place where prisoners are rehabilitated, and that's just leading to bigger problems.
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Words matter
Less than 100 posts
Posted: 2021-11-24 11:26:16

On 2021-11-24 08:58:01 oraljim said:
On 2021-11-24 08:34:15 Locote said: Throwing general statements like "educating people" and "lifting them higher on the economic scale" is neither here nor there. Educate them on what? with the intention to change what?

Never before has a phrase so succinctly expressed the idiocy of an author.

The only idiot is you, and your head is stuck too far up your you know what to realize it.

Your solution is vague and I was just pointing it out. Could you be more specific when stating thing like "educate people" and also explain how "moving them up economically" will evolve them because evidence shows otherwise.
AnthonyEdwards
AnthonyEdwards - Re: Words matter
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 2622
View Profile
Posted: 2021-11-24 11:42:13

Didn't they say that we are no longer allowed to say "educate people", we have to say "educating the learners", or is that no more because the minister passed away now?

Wait is smoking still banned?
oraljim
oraljim - Re: Words matter
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 2125
View Profile
Posted: 2021-11-24 11:47:54

On 2021-11-24 11:26:16 Locote said:
The only idiot is you, and your head is stuck too far up your you know what to realize it.

This is a sex site. I suspect saying "ass" or "arse" would be deemed quite acceptable. Unless we're aiming at faux politeness, in which case, fuck ALL the way off.
oraljim
oraljim - Re: Words matter
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 2126
View Profile
Posted: 2021-11-24 11:49:02

On 2021-11-24 11:42:13 AnthonyEdwards said:
Wait is smoking still banned?

I think we're about to enter the crazy upside down world where smoking weed is socially acceptable but smoking tobacco isn't. Welcome to the twilight zone!
johnyafrica
johnyafrica - Re: Words matter
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 45
View Profile
Posted: 2021-11-24 20:53:16

On 2021-11-24 11:49:02 oraljim said:

I think we're about to enter the crazy upside down world where smoking weed is socially acceptable but smoking tobacco isn't. Welcome to the twilight zone!

Found out the hard way recently that menthol (and other flavoured) cigarettes have been banned in other parts of the world....

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.