Navigation
tapthat100
tapthat100 - Life Savings
Life Savings
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 431
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-16 22:06:03

Might not be the right platform for this type of talk but I heard that at 30 you should have at least 1 full annual salary tucked away (excluding assets) to the guys that are older now does that make sense to you and is it correct in me saying that it will not be enough if you want to stay together with our EU Counterparts?
asslapper
asslapper - Re: Life Savings
Re: Life Savings
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 723
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-17 08:10:45

Mmmm two schools of thought,I am more of the second idea, which is at 30 you should be taking more risks with your money in order to create more money, cash sitting in a bank account earning 5% interest in case you loose your job is not smart money working for you, and getting that interest rate up means not having instant access to your cash, so have 3 months salary in a call account but have 9 months salary invested in something that may pay you when you are out of work but will continue to buy you more value when you are in work..invest overseas if you want to keep up with the Europeans invest here if you want to beat them...
Chmok
Chmok - Re: Life Savings
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 1235
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-17 10:38:24

"invest here if you want to beat them"
+1
Local knowledge & entrepreneurship are king, just add some intelligence, attitude & determination. Won't make you rich unless you're downright lucky, however should allow you to live (and retire) comfortably.
citizen
citizen - Re: Life Savings
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 29
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-17 21:28:08

I would suggest you invest whatever you can afford in a fund monthly. There are over 1000 to choose from, so do your homework and get hold of a reputable investment broker and see what suites you. This is a long term investment, as to put your money into the money market, you are going to loose in the long run as asslapper has correctly pointed out to you.
Ben Layden
Ben Layden - Re: Life Savings
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1851
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-17 23:33:21

Do not attempt to keep up with the Jones's.

Classhole
Classhole - Re: Life Savings
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 144
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-18 10:46:49

Saving for a rainy day is absolutely necessary . Asslapper has put it quite correctly on the ratio based on my age .
Ben Layden
Ben Layden - Re: Life Savings
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1853
View Profile
Posted: 2013-11-18 17:42:27

If you had invested a lump sum during the market crash of 2008 in a general equity portfolio you would have more than doubled your money by now.
Zerocool09
Zerocool09 - Re: Life Savings
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 332
View Profile
Posted: 2014-01-04 10:09:55

My advice, if you have a bond, pump every sent into it. You will save thousands on thousands of interest

Dont close the bond. Its like a piggy bank. If you need cash, with draw from it

I have multiple bonds, with 1.1k in cash onhand.

If you dont own, take out endowments. When they mature, just leave them. They will grow like crazy.

After that, look at unit trusts or play the jse

Then, buy more property...

[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Life Savings
Less than 100 posts
Posted: 2014-01-15 10:56:28

Punt less ;) save more ?

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.