Johnny English
Johnny English - Why i love South Africa
Why i love South Africa
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 158
View Profile
Posted: 2019-09-18 07:47:04
Edited: 2019-09-18 07:54:45

While we have unacceptable levels of crime in South Africa and a government which is failing it's people, most of us who live in this beautiful country love it and its peoples. No doubt there will be haters who will dispute my use of the word "most" but this thread/post is not to dispute numbers or to stoke up an argument but merely an attempt at some positivity. Like many, myself or family/friends have been affected directly or indirectly by crime but am sick and tired of all the South Africa bashing from many within and from those who have left and who spend their days and years rubbishing our country which enriched and nurtured (most) of them.
If anyone wishes to participate, add your most endearing reason why you do love South Africa.
If you don't love South Africa, kindly don't spoil it for most of us here by spewing your hatred on this thread.
One of my reasons (i have many), is the warmth of our people(smile, greet or be courteous to a fellow South African and you'll be richly rewarded).
semensquirter
semensquirter - Re: Why i love South Africa
Re: Why i love South Africa
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 4355
View Profile
Posted: 2019-09-18 07:58:57

Johnny...I feel you buddy!
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Why i love South Africa
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2019-09-18 08:04:55
Edited: 2019-09-18 08:06:06

True words!! My family have been here since 1664. we are as african as we can get.

I love sa for its people. I like greating the person helping me. be that at the filling station or the till. the responses often spark a lot of shared humanity and positive energy. I love how we nod or grumple to each other when we pass on the street regardless of knowing each other or not. I love the vibe at the departure gate for a plane returning to sa. its as if we all step back into a zone of acceptance

and above all our ladies are just fricken awesome!!! :)
Ben Layden
Ben Layden - Re: Why i love South Africa
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 5319
View Profile
Posted: 2019-09-18 09:52:43

Speak a word or two of the indigenous vernacular in the supermarkets, Post office banks etc and you will be blown away by how utterly beautifully you will be treated.
For example I ask for a " chekaas" in which to carry my groceries.
But I say it in Sepedi: " Mphe chekaas"
which means give me a packet.
The response is instantaneous:
Haau! Wa bua sepedi? ( Really you
speak sepedi? )
And then I say.
Air....( dragged out) kya bua Sepedi.
which means yes I speak Sepedi.
Then I'm so abashed by their friendliness that I take my purchases and leave and say: ke tlagu bona ( see you).

[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2019-09-18 09:57:50

mafelelong re tlo bolela sepedi :)

ps your intent is great, your spelling even worse than mone ;))
Ben Layden
Ben Layden - Re: Why i love South Africa
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 5320
View Profile
Posted: 2019-09-18 10:09:01

On 2019-09-18 09:57:50 ystervark said:
mafelelong re tlo bolela sepedi :)

ps your intent is great, your spelling even worse than mone ;))

I thank you sir.
I am chastened.
Louise
Louise - Re: Why i love South Africa
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 53
  View Profile  
Posted: 2019-09-18 10:28:40

Standing in a line waiting your turn to be helped.. Random conversations happening.. :) that is as South African as you can get..
The older lady behind you that will start a conversation by saying.. "Love your curly hair did you perm it? Or "is your hair naturally red?".., she will tell you about her grandkids or the fact that she still has to go bake a cake for her husbands birthday and about the people behind the service counter don't care that she is old and can't stand long and is taking their time.. or the young guy in front of you will randomly tell you how his mom sent him because she didn't want stand in the line.
semensquirter
semensquirter - Re: Why i love South Africa
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 4360
View Profile
Posted: 2019-09-18 10:43:06

Sometimes it's cool to feel the love and clap hands and sing Kumbaya...BUT just take someones parking and watch the poes in them come out...LOL
Well rugby W.C. time is here...at least we can fill the pubs and sing shosholoza ...
[deleted]
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2019-09-18 10:51:09

On 2019-09-18 10:43:06 semensquirter said:

Well rugby W.C. time is here...at least we can fill the pubs and sing shosholoza ...

Wearing my All Blacks shirt, walking into an area of Bokke supporters and watching how SA gets beaten by NZ.

Love that !
Meg
Meg - Re: Why i love South Africa
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 6991
  View Profile  
Posted: 2019-09-18 10:55:37

Why I love my country. .
The food.
The hospitality of my people.
The space.
Our game farms and animals.
Table mountain.
SA has the most amazing places.

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.