Navigation
Arcticus
Arcticus - Re: Uncle Ben
Re: Uncle Ben
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 9
View Profile
Posted: 2018-10-05 18:49:01

English is funny. As it gets used, we start to leave out words that we recognize should be there. "Can not" becomes "cannot" becomes "can't".

Some phrases are like that. Your phrase can be interpreted as:

Unless (the) otherwise (is) stated

or:

Unless (it is) stated otherwise

The difference? The first way supposes a choice between two options, because the "otherwise" is known and previously stated/implied. The second supposes an exception that will be defined/agreed.

Both can be correct, and common usage has blurred the distinction between them. As others have said, the context is important.

BTW Ben might chide you on "So this is my grammar pickle i have.

Which of the following to statements are correct???"

It should be "So this is THE grammar pickle THAT I have: which of the following TWO statements IS correct???"

But cellphones are terrible with auto-correct...and so are grammar Nazis with uninvited-correct!
Arhwen
Arhwen - Re: Uncle Ben
Re: Uncle Ben
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 5201
  View Profile  
Posted: 2018-10-06 14:49:51

Lol. Thank you so much for the Indepth description. I now fully understand :) I really do appreciate it :) Thanks again :)

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.