Navigation
[deleted]
[deleted] - Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Where were you 17 years ago today ?
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2018-09-11 09:41:33

Strange... although I had no family/friends or knew people that were affected by the September 11 attacks, and happened on the other side of the workd,today I always think about those affected & can clearly remember that afternoon the news came through ( but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night )

I was in my matric year, writing the prelim exams. If I recall correctly, that afternoon I was studying for my geography exam the following day. My brother was outside, fiddling with his red Citi Golf and the day was overcast.

Days like today make me realize that we should try our best to live our lives, take chances as tomorrow is never promised to us.

Tell that person you love them, greet somebody when you walk past, smile, take a deep breath of the fresh air, and most of all, be kind to one another.

When the planes hit the twin towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the passengers onboard were messages of hate or revenge, they were messages of love
jjsoap
jjsoap - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 1320
View Profile
Posted: 2018-09-11 09:52:40

Was at a work strategy session, close to Harties, saw it during our lunch break on one of the news channels.

The owner of the venue told us about it. Listen to the rest of the happenings on the radio later that afternoon as I was making my way home.
Mila
Mila - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 111
  View Profile  
Posted: 2018-09-11 09:59:27

Was at restaurant by the beach. News shocked me. I remember that day very well ((
Bobbyjon
Bobbyjon - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 77
View Profile
Posted: 2018-09-11 10:00:52

I was in high school. Came home and saw the news. I have a cousin who was there as her family moved to Canada a couple of years prior and she went sightseeing. She was a lucky survivor
[deleted]
[deleted] - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
More than 100 posts
Posted: 2018-09-11 10:02:41

Playing golf and we all just sat in the clubhouse dumbfounded watching this shit unfold!
shoeguy
shoeguy - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 234
View Profile
Posted: 2018-09-11 10:14:52

I returned from campus, beat down from weed I took a nap. Woke up and CNN had this unfold, I felt like I had too much weed lol
Micazeeks27
Micazeeks27 - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Gold Member
Posts to Date: 22
View Profile
Posted: 2018-09-11 10:22:34

Hmmm... primary school. Grade 6. Think I was more worried about a crush I had on this girl Kathleen. Took a while to realise how serious the news was lol.
LovesToGetSpanked
LovesToGetSpanked - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 14
View Profile
Posted: 2018-09-11 11:05:58
Edited: 2018-09-11 11:14:40

I was being harshly caned by a WG whose name I can't for the life of me recall in Queen Street Kensington, and heard about it when I got back to the office.

edit... just remembered, her name was Megan aka Michaela. Short blonde girl, would love to know where she ended up. I saw her a few times at various venues. Last contact we had was well over 10 years ago, when we spoke on the phone but I couldn't make a time to visit. Iirc she was in Rosebank or thereabouts then. She might have worked for or with Dunkeld Kim at one stage too.

Galaxy @ Blue Eclipse
Galaxy @ Blue Eclipse - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Advertiser
Posts to Date: 901
  View Profile  
Posted: 2018-09-11 11:11:04

I was in hospital giving birth to my beautiful daughter that was 3 weeks early... it was a sad day with the loss of lives of the 9/11 attacks but the happiest day of my life ;)
Blades
Blades - Re: Where were you 17 years ago today ?
Basic Member
Posts to Date: 1
View Profile
Posted: 2018-09-11 11:16:53

I was in my office. A lady from the office across the hall ran in telling me about planes flying into buildings in the US. We went to her office and listened to the reports on the radio.

The reporters really had wild stories and I remember them announcing that about 7 planes had 'fallen from the sky' and more planes were in trouble. It was confusing.

I normally went to a pub close to my flat (I know, people call them 'apartments'these days for some reason) for dinner those days. That was the time of the first 'Big Brother South Africa'and the pub normally had that on the TV, but this particular night the pub was actually packed and everybody was watching as the news of the attacks unfolded. The mood was sombre. I even remember what I had for dinner. A cheeseburger and chips.

You must be logged in to post on this forum. Basic Membership is free and it only takes a minute to sign up. Alternatively, if you are already a member, please log in. You will be automatically returned to this page.

Legend

Hover mouse over icons for description

Back to Previous Page
For the best browsing experience, rotate your tablet horizontal.